A corner bureau

Almost three years ago, I started work on a corner bureau for the spare bedroom. I bought a bunch of boards, glued ’em up and planed ’em down into panels, and then  there they sat, through two winters, collecting cobwebs.

img_0867img_0868

Just recently I decided I felt bad for my little panels, and that it was time to start up the project again.

Here’s the original sketch. A superman emblem from the top, shooting for around 4 feet tall, sticking out no more than 2 feet from the corner.

img_1787

First step was to cut the panels to size, best I could with a circular saw & guide. The final product looks pretty good when roughed together.

img_1769

Next up, assemble the cabinet shell with a series of braces.. For the back panels, I was able to use my new (ish) kreg jig. What a handy little gadget!

img_1781

img_1795

… and now we have a cabinet.

From here, it’s time to think about how the drawer box will work. I want 4 drawers of equal size, and the height is 42″. So for height, 8″ drawers with 2″ spacers makes sense. Width is a judgement call on how deep I want them. I settled on 20″ drawers, with 2″ slack on either side, which makes for 13″ in depth. So we’re looking at 20″W x 8″H x 13″D drawers. Well enough.

For the drawer slides, I have some nice maple hardware from an old bureau I had broken apart a while back. That old bureau had a series of bottom mounted slide panels with nice tongue and groove joinery.

img_1788

So I reconstructed the panels at my smaller size.

img_1790

I then mount them on runners, put some face trim on the fronts, and then attach to the (upside down) cabinet one by one, from the top down.

img_1805 img_1816

When that is done, we tack on a little trim, flip the thing back over, and it’s really looking like a bureau now!

img_1849